Monday 11 March 2013

Song Selection

As the four pieces have to be of a different genre I have selected a few genres that I would feel comfortable singing. However I have also chosen some genres that will help my to improve and extend my skills but taking me out of singing the same styles of songs that I suit and are comfortable singing.

Genres:

  • Folk; I listen to quite a bit of folk music and some artists I would select songs from would be Joni Mitchell, Kate Rusby and Eva Cassidy. Recently I have listened to songs of a Bluegrass style, it would be interesting to learn a song in this style but recreating the backing music or finding a track to accompany me would be problematic. 
  • Musical Theatre; I love musicals and I find the mixture of singing whilst acting very enjoyable. Some of my favourite musicals that I would possibly sing a song from would be; Wicked, Les Miserables, Fame and Funny Girl.
  • Pop; this is such a wide genre and I think I would edge more towards the alternative end of pop with artists such as Kate Nash or Gabrielle Aplin. Adele has several songs that I think would certainly work and push the strength I need in my voice and these songs would be more soul pop.  Other soul artists to select a song from would possibly be John Legend, Alicia Keys or Bruno Mars.
  • Rock; I love classic rock and one of my favourite bands are Led Zeppelin. It would certainly be a challenge to sing a Led Zep song to the standard I would deem appropriate for performance but I  wouldn't  rule it out. Other bands I would consider maybe singing my own versions of their songs would be Nirvana, Biffy Clyro, Aerosmith and Fleetwood Mac. 
  • Alternative/Punk Rock; I am a fan of bands such as Blink-182, Muse, Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, Twin Atlantic and Hellogoodbye. Even though I enjoy singing along to songs of this genre I'm not sure if my voice is necessarily equipped to sing songs that are mostly sung by men. However it would be interesting to try and adapt some songs. 

As I'm very indecisive it may be quite a hard decision to choose  four different songs!










No comments:

Post a Comment