Saturday 18 May 2013

Song Selection: Musical Theatre

I am a huge fan of musical theatre and I think to work in the West End was a pretty big dream I had as a kid. I'd still like to do it now but I can never be sure if I would find work! My favourite musicals include; Cats, Wicked, The Lion King, Les Miserables. I would really like to go and watch more shows this year, I'd like to see The Book Of Mormon, Chorus Line and Matilda. I think the song for this section that I'll sing is I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables. Recently I went up to London to watch the show in the West End, I have to say I preferred Anne Hathaway s Fantine in the film version. I feel with the film Fantine you can really connect with Anne as she's singing because it's so raw and powerful., the actress in the show had a lovely voice but it wasn't raw and emotional enough for me. This is probably because most stage and musical theatre actresses have a specific voice and sometimes it's harder to produce the emotion in their voice without going off key; and there would be a lot of people in the theatre to hear you do that!I chose to sing this song because I enjoy singing it and it's a beautiful emotional song and I think it'll be a chance for me to show the more musical theatre side of my performing skills.

This is Anne's version of Fantine 'I Dreamed A Dream'

No comments:

Post a Comment